Wednesday, July 2, 2014

How this works

July 13, 2013 was my 38th birthday, I called it the "25th Anniversary of my 13th birthday" and decided to run 13 miles to celebrate. (After all there are so many 13's going on, it just made sense, right?) It was the first time I ran that distance outside of a race, during training. When my friends and I were done running I had actually finished 13.1 miles! A half marathon!

I was training for my first full marathon. My brother passed away from Malignant Melanoma Cancer July 29, 2011 right before I ran my first 5k. I then ran 3 half marathons to complete a local "Beach Cities Challenge". After my second half marathon my brother's wife passed away from Melanoma Cancer that went into her brain! She passed away December 21, 2012. After she passed away I decided to go for it and do a full marathon and use that run as a way to raise money for Melanoma Cancer research. I completed the LA Marathon in March 2014.

July 2014 I decided to use my birthday run, which is now an annual event called the "Annual Annagizer Birthday Run" by my running group, as a way to continue to raise awareness of the seriousness of skin cancer and raise money for melanoma cancer research. The way to do that was to make it a “virtual run.”  You can run on my birthday to support my cause, or you can use this medal to celebrate your own birthday and good health! Actually you can run on anyone's birthday, whenever, wherever you want. The proceeds will go to support the Melanoma Research Foundation. There are no "hard and fast rules" here. Just have fun with it!

You are allowed to break down the 13.1 miles into the week leading up to your birthday. Just end the collection of runs at 13.1 on or before your birthday and celebrate with this awesome bling, and support a good cause while you are at it! Why not? Right? Or you can do what I do, and run the whole 13.1 at once with a few equally crazy running friends who just love you that much to do such a thing.

"Run for fun, run for health, run for Melanoma Research!"

In loving memory of Paul Humphrey and Ruth Riffe



This is not an official "Melanoma Research Foundation" page and is not maintained by them. But they gave me permission to use their name. All proceeds made by this virtual run will be donated to MRF by Anna Dwinger, the creator of this event. All the money I collect will be put here, on my dontation page: Melanoma Cancer Research Fundraiser Page So you can track how much is being donated.

How much is it and how do I pay?
Cost of a medal is $15. Please send payment via paypal to virtualbirthdayrun@gmail.com. Any additional donation will go directly to MRF. Please include your shipping address. If you would like it rushed please add $3 for shipping. I am mailing these out from CA through USPS so it will take anywhere from a few days to a week for your beautiful medal to arrive. For shipping outside of the USA add $7 to the total cost. Or email me for an address to mail a check payment. Or go to the top of the page and hit the "Pay Now" button to pay via a credit card. (New.... added an Eventbrite website, and a VBR website to visit with links to pay for medals.)


Thank you for supporting Melanoma Research! 
Find us on Facebook Virtual Birthday Run and send your pics of you and your medal!!! Pics are also posted on Instagram: @VirtualBirthdayRun


Any questions or comments may be emailed to me at virtualbirthdayrun@gmail.com

Thank you again for your support!!
*************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment